Monday 25 June 2018

Vacation 2016 - Day 14, Part 2: The Road to Carcassonne, Take 2: A61 Cathar Memorial

When driving on the A61 from Narbonne to Carcassonne, we stopped for lunch at the Aire de Peche Loubat, which turned out to provide an unexpected experience.

From the picnic area we could see some strange shapes on the hill, so after eating, we investigated.



When looking at the first sculpture, three things caught my eye:

  1. moyen age (middle ages)
  2. croisade (crusade)
  3. 1209

Colour me interested!


And here: La tragedie cathare (the cathar tragedy)


Montsegur and 1244



I should have taken pics from the front of those strange 'towers' - as I have found they are a sculpture called 'The Cathar Knights' by Jacques Tissinier:
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-the-cathar-knights-is-a-cement-sculpture-by-jacques-tissinier-above-81171710.html










After leaving the rest area, heading for Carcassonne, we passed a couple of castles.



Next up is the city of Carcassonne, and of course I knocked myself out taking pictures of that marvellous place!

No comments:

Post a Comment