Saturday 8 October 2022

Warlords of Erehwon Solo Game - Turn 5

 Of course, the routing Knights should have been moved before anything else, but I forgot that rule. Instead, I moved tham off the table as soon as I became aware of the error.

But, as you can see, the Guard fired at a Skeleton unit and took out the Leader.


Then, the Elven Hero charged the Undead Champion. The combattants failed to penetrate each other's armour, so both had to take a Break Test (and the Elf automatically passed, due to Haughty Disdain).


Both warriors wanted to push on, so a follow-up combat was fought. Again, no blood (ichor?) was drawn, both passed their Break Test, and the Champion had to Consolidate first.


Then a fresh (?) unit of Skeleton Warriors attacked the hero while hurling their spears at him. The Elf could not ward off all the projectiles, and thus suffered a Wound.


Shaken by the pain, the noble Elf succumbed to the insurmountable odds. Things were looking bleak for the dauntless defenderes of the pass.


To add insult to injury, the Undead horde made the final breakthrough by killing the Elven Lord with their spears while closing in.


The remaining Bodyguard broke and fled the battlefield. By this point, the Elven warband was well broken, and the Elves' only hope now was to kill off as many Undeads as possible.


A decimated unit managed to Rally.


Then, the remaining Elven Cavalry on the right flank fired at the Down unit of Skeletons - and destroyed them, which meant that the Undead warband was now also Broken!


The battlefield of Desolation Pass at the end of Turn 5. With both Warbands broken, a d6 must be rolled to decide if another Turn had to be played (1-3, the Game ends; 4-6, another Turn is played).


Aaaand.. it's Game Over, Man, Game Over!


The last effort by the Elves was too little, too late. 

The Undead had killed off units at a value of 984 points, and the Elves had killed the equivalent of 622 points.

The defense of Desolation Pass has failed, and the path now lies open for the armies of the Necromancer.

Will the Elves of the Northern Province manage to mobilize sufficient forces to stop the advance of the Undead hordes, or wil the region fall under the Shadow?

Well, I already decided that I like this game enough to make this a narrative campaign, and the next installment will be played against a live opponent taking command of the Elvish forces (my pal Emil and I are going to spend an afternoon playing a smaller battle, as the citizens of the Northern Province scrambles to stop the vanguard of the Undead invaders.

My verdict so far:

I really, really like this game. I like the flexible warband-building, and I like the ebb and flow of the game. I have to play a real opponent a couple of times, though, before I decide if Warlords is going to be my go-to fantasy game (but I have a good feeling about this).

In the meantime, thanks for reading, and stay tuned for the next battle!


No comments:

Post a Comment