Monday 28 November 2022

2018-07-12, Vacation 2018 - Day 3, Part 2: Finally Reaching Brügge (Bruges)

As stated in the previous Vacation 2018 post, more random piccies from our journey towards Brügge are due.













The Ghentpoort (Ghent Gate) of Brügge.


Better pic.


And this pic must be this tower.







Before we reached the camping site below, we had tried our luck at another one - and I have never experienced such a behaviour from a camp warden as we were met with there. Luckily for her, I do not remember the name of the site, otherwise ...

We arrived from a direction where the sign at the gate was not visible, entered the driveway and got out to see if they could accomodate us. We found that they had some kind of electronic booking and check-in system, and we did not get very far with that. After a while a woman (I am deliberately not using 'lady') came out from some back office and demanded that we moved our car and trailer from the driveway. As both the driveway and the road were very narrow, flanked with high hedges, I asked her to open the gates so that we could drive around the office building and out at the other side, as I did not want to risk reversing out with next to no view of the road, but she refused - an generally treatred us as some kind of potential violent delinquents.

The I got stubborn and refused to move our vehicles, and after a while she gave in and opened the gates, and instead we found Camping Klein Strand, where we were met with a more normal behaviour.

The evening sky.


The camp with the trusty small awning bought for the old Eccles. As it turned out, it was a good thing that we put it up, as while I was cooking on the small table under it, some kids threw some dried dog poo over the trailer, and it might have hit the stove, were it not for the shelter of the awning.

As you may have guessed, this first day in Belgium did not leave me in the best of moods; I was treated badly by a camp warden, and I had shit thorown at me. Not a good first impression of a country.

2 comments:

  1. Ouch! I hope the rest of the holiday is better than that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We stayed the next day to visit Brügge, and luckily there were no further incidents.

      Delete