Thursday 9 August 2018

Star Wars Legion: First Test Game

Played a small test game with Ulolkish today, using the old pre-paints from Wizards of the Coast.

I do not have an AT-RT, and no Scout Bikes, but I mocked up two squads of Stormtroopers, two of Rebel Troopers, plus Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker (the mini is 'Jacen Solo', but I think he has been erased from canon).

Ulokish took it upon him to restore peace and order to the Galaxy, while I inserted a rag-tag force of insurgents.

Both the Force-using commanders moved forward supported by one squad, while keeping a tactical reserve hanging back. Luke was dodging a lot, expecting to have to deflect some Stormtrooper fire, while Vader is just plain slow...


While Vader was drawing a lot of attention from the Rebel Troopers, Luke charged in, and all but obliterated the Stormtrooper squad guarding the Sith Lord. Unfortunately, this also exposed him to a lot of fire from the second Imperial squad.


Thus softened up, Luke was no match for Vader, who relentlessly mopped the floor with his promising offspring.


The Rebel reserve squad. which had begun moving forward, came under fire and quickly fell back to hard cover once more. No strolling in the killing fields! Vader, in spite of being under heavy aimed fire from the forward Rebel squad, kept advancing in them.


Soon, the Rebels were no more. This was pretty much the end of this skirmish, only the lonely Stormtrooper commander was also wounded.


With the Lord Vader having destroyed two Rebel units, and the Rebels only managing to remove one enemy unit, Victory belonged to the Emperor's finest.

Thoughts on the game:
This was our first tussle with these rules, and we made quite a few mistakes (but learned from most of them), and we shall definitely have to play again with a few units more; I shall have to print some Order Tokens for that to be possible, though, as the game box contains only the tokens need for the included models (so if I want to field, for instance, another squad of Stormtroopers, I have one 'Corps' token less than needed).

Characters with lightsabers are powerful, but they can be withered down. I am very much looking forward to try the Force upgrade cards for both Vader and Luke, as I think they will add a lot of Star Warsy flavour to the game.

The game flows nicely. We only used the 'Learn to Play' rules, so no suppression, stand-by, and that kind of stuff, but I doubt that the full rules will slow down gameplay a whole lot.

In short: We liked it, and I shall definitely add Legion to my regular go-to wargames (I am sure that Michael can also be persuaded to play it with me, albeit probably not building his own force, not to mention Kevin).

No comments:

Post a Comment