Tuesday 27 March 2018

Aventine: Early Italics

After asking around on the LAF regarding minis to use for the conflicts between theKingdom of Rome, and its Italic neighbours (such as Etruscans, Sabines, and the likes), I was kindly offered a sample from Aventine Miniatures, of their Etruscan range.

I do not think the photo gives these minis full credit; they are VERY nice, with hardly any flash, only a bit of mold-lines, and very, very crisp details!

I could easily see myself getting some sets of these if I go full in on early Rome - and Aventine also has a range of 'Italian Hill Tribes' (mainly Volscians), which should go along with these.

I really like how (most of) these have the 'feel' of a heavier type of Hoplite, and at the same time pointing forward to the manipular infantry of the Republican/Polybian Roman legion (and its allies).

For now, I shall paint these Etruscans up and use them as 'Auxiliary Legionaires' for a Broken Legions warband I want to create to fight the Argonauts I have on my prepping station at the moment. I am going to represent the actual legionaires by Caesarean plastic legionaires from Wargames Factory, of which I have had a box since they were issued years ago, so the 'outdated' look of the Etruscans will just add to the overall colourfulness of the warband!

No comments:

Post a Comment