Wednesday 29 January 2014

Windows 8 Start Button - Yay!

I installed Classic Shell yesterday, and now I once more have a Start Button, despite Microsofts latest brainfart.



I downloaded and installed, but the application didn't launch at re-boot. Solutions to this can be:

  • In Classic Start Menu settings, General Behavior tab (All Settings), check if "Start automatically for this user" is checked.
  • Create a shortcut to "C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ClassicStartMenu.exe" and put it in your startup folder as a workaround.
If it still doesn't launch at start-up:

Disable your antivirus. It may be blocking the start menu.

Open an administrative command prompt and type "regsvr32 startmenuhelper64.dll" (for 32-bit Windows type "regsvr32 startmenuhelper32.dll")

To do this last step:
  1. [Windows Button] + [X]
  2. Click 'Command Promt (Administrative)
  3. Type in: regsvr32 startmenuhelper64.dll  OR regsvr32 startmenuhelper32.dll
  4. [Enter]
This worked for me - if you still can't get it to launch, visit:

http://www.classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1479

where I found my solutions.


No comments:

Post a Comment