Wednesday 6 April 2016

Blood Eagle: First Impressions

I have read through Blood Eagle using yesterday evening and quite a few hours today.

I REALLY like what I have gathered from the rules so far, and I am quite certain, this purchase will finally kickstart my Dark Age related painting and gaming!

Furthermore, needing only a handful minis for playing (down to 4-5), and having an open point system for creating your entirely own warbands, is a fantastic opportunity for painting just the way I like it - a little bit of this, and a little bit of that - and still be able to use the minis right away! My mind is already working on the Fellowship, and I don't see why I shouldn't be able to use the rules for medieval warbands too (points values are given for better armour than normally found in the Dark Age).

Warbands can then be upgraded to Lion/Dragon Rampant units along the way, and finally to God of Battles units (and/or other massed battle systems I might fancy).

Blood Eagle comes with the complete package; most of the north-western European cultures are covered, and it is possible to include christian miracles and pagan magic.

Added to this, there are rules for a lot of mythical creatures (mainly from Scandinavia, Britain, and Ireland), and even rules for creating warbands composed of these.

I need to read through the actual game rules once more, and then start constructing my first warband, before I write more about Blood Eagle - but my first impression gives me much hope for my future with it.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah...I'm pretty excited about Blood Eagle and the way you can do straight historical or mythical. I'm thinking Trolls and Skraelings will make an appearance as well as Saxons and Vikings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can do just about anything with those, even ancients and straight fantasy. The open points system is a GIFT for a gamer!

      Delete