Sunday, 21 August 2016

Another Garden Project

Most of the last week I have spent almost all my spare time in the garden; up until now, both July and August had been really bad, with lots of rain (not yielding much water, but making outside activities rather unpleasant), and temperatures under 20 Centigrades, so when we got sunny, dry,, reasonably warm weather all of a sudden, it was time to get some serious work done!

In one corner of the front yard, the lawn had been permitted to slowly invade an area otherwise reserved for flowers and bushes, because it was full of old roots from bushes cut down before we purchased the house.

The last bush from the area I cleared in June (the one with the white flowers) had to be moved to that corner, so I had to do something about the grass.

To restore the bed to its intended use, I decided to dig away the turf, and then remove another layer of soil - as I wanted to get both roots and seeds removed, to prevent the grass from just growing back in a couple of months. Of course, I also dug up the roots.

I used a string to mark the edge of the bed. It is my intention to edge the entire lawn with a double row of small cobblestones (I have given up on cleaning the old bricks I got last year - we simply have too bad weather for sitting outside with this very messy/dusty work, so it is simply not going to happen), and they are going to be placed beyond the newly established edge (I shall have to remove turf accordingly).

The turf I used in the 'driveway' to our back yard. Two years ago, the water plant people did a lot of work on two wells in our back yard, and the wheels on the heavy lorries made an indent in the lawn at this point. I am now trying to even out the surface with the excess turf from the front yard.

The bushes at the back of the bed had to be moved (the largest one was far too close to the aplle tree to the right), but first, we had to get some soil from the recycling plant (it is free of charge) to restore the surface to the level of the lawn.

The two last pictures in this post is of the bed all ready for the new soil.

The intention is to remove all the low green shrubbery of which you can see some at the front, but it is very hard work, and I shall not continue doing that right now, instead focusing on getting the cleared area fully done.

No comments:

Post a Comment