Sunday, 19 August 2018

Star Wars Legion: Rhydonium Cannister

Photo's a bit unfocused, but I think you'll get the picture 😜 Very dangerous stuff to use as cover, but never the less going to be used as scatter terrain!

Printed at 30mm/sec, 200 Centigrades, 0.1 resolution. Currently printing another five of those.

Star Wars Legion: Fuel Energizer

No idea what this is supposed to be doing, but it provides cover! Mini only for scale.

Star Wars Legion: Vaporator

This iconic piece of imaginary tech spells Star Wars as clearly as a Lightsaber.

In use all over the galaxy, wherever clean surface water is hard to come by, and frequently seen on arid planets like Tatooine.

I printed this at 200 Centigrades, 0.1 resolution, 40mm/sec, 10% triangular infill; slow prints at low temperatures definitely seem the way to go!

Model is from Thingiverse, and the mini is just for scale purposes.

Saturday, 18 August 2018

Star Wars Legion: Power Station

Another print of a Thingiverse file - perfect for breaking up LOS. I am very pleased with the way this printed - nice finish for 0.2 mm layer height/resolution, and I think I shall have to try printing it in 0.1, too, to compare the results. I am currently printing a moisture vaporator at slower print speed, lower temperature, and 0.1 mm resolution, and I am excited to see the finished piece later this evening!

Miniature for scale only.

Wednesday, 15 August 2018

Rumble in the Jungle

Having a 3D-printer working in the background, printing stuff for gaming, has inspired me to start making some jungle bases on mini CDs - those will be used both for Star Wars Legion, Congo, various Pulp games, Victorian Adventures, and my Paleo Diet in Africa project, as well as anything else, I can place in a tropical environment.

The next couple of days I probably shall not have much time to spend on this project (I start my 5-nights work period tonight), but the next phase is slapping some filler  around the plastic plants to hide ugly joints and bases/webbing. I shall focus on getting three of these ready before my next game.

3D Dungeon: Deciding on a Size

Yesterday, I printed the 2x2 corridor at 110% and 120% to compare them with the 'normal' sized piece from the other day.

Looking at the three pieces, I thought that the middle one (110%) gave the 25mm based mini just that extra space needed for  easier handling (and for models inn more dynamic poses), whereas the piece at 120% would seem very broad for minis on 20mm bases (which I use on a regular basis these days).

 Thus, I printed a door piece a 110%, to see how it would look with some assorted minis next to it.

As can be seen, the door looks pretty natural (although maybe a bit too wide).

My mind almost made up, I still visited Ulolkish late last night to show him the test pieces and give his opinion.

We placed several minis from different manufacturers in the corridors, and finally agreed that 110% is the best fit.

So, today I am printing three 2x4 corridors all at once (takes all day), and the next couple of days I shall print four 2x3 corridors, and then another five 2x2 pieces, before I begin making some room and door tiles.

Star Wars Legion: Second Intro-Game

The Initial Set-up
Monday afternoon, Michael came down from Glamsbjerg to visit me and inspect my 3D-printer, and I had set up for a game of Legion, of course with my newly printed Imperial Outpost on the table.

The experience from my first game with Ulolkish told me that cover is of the utmost importance in Legion, so I threw the extra printed barricade on the table as well. I need to print some more scatter terrain, but right now my printer is busy printing dungeon corridors, so that will have to wait until tomorrow, or so...

I had assembled another squad of Stormtroopers for Vader to motivate, and I used some Fringe Walker as AT-ST proxy for the rebs.

Michael donned the black mask, and started breathing heavily, while I meditated to clear my mind of all aggression.

Everybody decided that caution is the better part of valour, and the first turn saw lots of ducking and weaving, and diving for cover.

I managed to maneuver the AT-ST into a position, from which I am not sure if it was able to advance (I have to study those vehicle rules)... of course I backed it off a bit (haven't checked if that is possible, either, but...).

Vader advanced, waving his lightsaber in front of him.

I forgot to take a photo after the third turn, but the most interesting thing that happened was the Stormtrooper section emerging from the bunker and coming towards the rebels on my right flank.

The Stormtroopers charged home, while my AT-ST picked on the section defending the outpost.

The Stormtroopers annihilated the Rebel section (I have to read up on the rules for close combat, too), and then Luke charged them and cut down two, while the walker joined the fight.

As soon as Luke left the Rebel section on the left, Vader ordered all-out attack, and led the charge from behind... (he is rather slow, you know)

With Luke occupied elsewhere, Vader's relentless attack secured the day for the Empire, as the Rebles only managed to obliterate one enemy unit.

This game was a bit more tactical than the first one, and we both enjoyed it.

I had some terrible Dodge Rolls, while Michael succeeded with a lot of his, so with a little luck I might have secured a draw, as the game really hang in the balance until the very last moment.

Vader is a beast, and I am really looking forward to playing some games with the full rules (and Force Power Upgrades), as I think it will only cause more cinematic moments!