Saturday, 15 November 2014

Renedra American Church, Part 1.

The fever mists are slowly beginning to clear from my brain, and I've decided to do something about some of the many terrain projects I have bought stuff for over the years.

First up, my plastic Renedra Church. I wanted to use it for Von unaussprechlichen Kulten and Strange Aeons, back when I had finished painting 2 cults, but as I went through the parts on the sprues, one vital piece was missing.

Renedra sent me a replacement PLUS a sprue full of headstones, which I think is VERY good customer service - but the delay meant that I got my butterfly mind set on other subjects.

Now I've finally started assembling the kit!

It is a bit fiddly to get the side walls and gables aligned at 90 degrees right angles - I used one of the roof sides to align them against.

When I dryfitted the roof plates, I couldn't get a good fit. There are two of these 'tabs' on each side wall, meant to support corresponding tabs on the underside of the roofs, but in my case they prevented the roofs from sitting correctly on the building - so had to be removed.

Below is the same wall with tab(s) removed.

There are a few peculiarities to the kit - nothing that can't be overcome by the seasoned modeller, but I wouldn't recommend this kit for kids.


Renedra has opted to do the church bell in two halves.

Nothing wrong with that - BUT, why havent they made it a 'real' bell, then, instead of this pearshaped lump that results from assembling the 2 halves?

Another example:

The bell tower is made of four side pieces and a floor.

Nothing wrong with that, per se, but I had to put the roof/spire base in place and twirl a rubber band around the construction for the glue to cure, otherwise I could not be sure that the roof would fit after the glue had settled.

And, no, I couldn't glue the roof/spire base in place at the same time, as the bell has to hang from a rod inside the bell tower.

The plastic used for the kit seems the same as used for GW's building sets; it's prone to warping, and as you can see below, I had to put some weight on the front of the tower to make it connect with the roof pieces while the glue settles.

Conclusion so far:

It's a nice kit, with good texture and details, and I'm sure the  end result will be very good. The kit, although simple, is not for absolute beginners in the art of model building, but I think it will be worth the extra effort to get things to fit right.

I shall continue, and probably finish, the build tomorrow, and I shall, of course, round it off with part 2 of this little installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment