Thursday 3 November 2016

Vacation 2016 - Day 1. And So It Began...

As I shall be busy painting Dark Ages civilians the next two-and-a-half weeks, and work means that I cannot finish one every day, I think it is about time I get started posting the pictures from this summer's trip to Catalonia.

As usual, there were road works around Hamburg, and it took a bit longer than planned to get past the Elbe - and as everybody knows, driving fills up the bladder...


We didn't have much summer up to the vacation, so it was with no little delight we watched the thermometer crawling up when we got close to Hannover.


We decided to stop over at a small camping site Campingplatz am Hahler Hafen just outside Minden - a nice and cheap place to stay, with a very helpful camp warden.

The new awning was put up, and did a sterling job.


The camping site was just on the bank of the Mittellandkanal, and it is never boring to watch the boat traffic on a waterway.




After supper, we went over the Weser to visit the Kaiser-Wilhelm-Denkmal which I remembered visiting with my parents on the way home from France maybe 35 years ago.

The path was not there back then - I remember climbing some very steep stairs to reach the monument.





It is quite a view from the site.

Cool kids!


Another view over the Weser.


I did not take any pictures of the restoring work that seems to be going on these years - the site has deteriorated a lot since the last time I was there, and it seems that the German authorities have commissioned a face-lift for the whole area.

Behind the monument.


After visiting the monument, we went back to the camping site, and I shot a few photos to document the mood.




No comments:

Post a Comment