Wednesday, 6 July 2016

The Brew that Just Went On and On...

Fifteen months ago, I put this batch of mead aside in the basement for long-time settling. About a moth ago, I carried it up into the kitchen, getting ready for bottling it - and then the fermentation process started up again!

Somehow, the yeast I thought long dead seems to have survived (at least some of it), and during the past month, the airlock has been blobbing away.

Now, the process has finally almost ceased. and I figured it wise to separate the mead from the sediments, siphoning it into a cleanr demi-john.

As you can see in the picture, I did so this afternoon - and the process left some residues that I filtered to get somewhere near half a bottle of mead, of which I am enjoying a glass as I write.

My de-carbonizer 'whip' needed a go in the dishwasher, so I am not going to get the last bubbles out of the brew until tomorrow - and then the batch is going into the basement for another month of settling, before I tap it into bottles.

No comments:

Post a Comment