Tuesday 21 May 2019

2019-05-21: God of Battles, Undead vs Chaos


I actually anticipated playing against Kevin's Greenskins today, and had built my army accordingly, but he brought a Chaos Demon army built on the T'lekkan list. It is always nice to see a new painted army on the table, and as it were, the tactics I built my army for somewhat succeeded!

Kevin postioned his units fairly evenly over the width of the table, apart from the Behemoth (Greater Demon of Slaneesh?), a hulking Enormous monster capable of taking on entire legions on its own, as it would turn out, which was placed on his extreme left flank, just opposite my Camp. I concentrated my relatively few infantry units near my camp, and left my Blacksoul in a Chariot and my Knights to covering most of my table edge.

On Turn 1, my Knights and Chariot sped forward on my left, hoping to hit the Demons' apparently weak flank.


On Turn 2, Blacksoul in the Chariot despatched a Demon unit. The Behemoth strode steadily forward, while I pulled back my defensive line a bit to stall the inevitable clash.


Turn 3, the Behemoth destroyed a Skeleton Horde, while my knights got mauled by something unnatural... Another Skeleton Horde drove some Demons into the woods.


Turn 4. The Behemoth destroyed another Skeleton Horde.


The remaining 3 Knights were wiped out, and my Blacksoul went in with a vengeance.


Turn 5, my Camp Followers beat off a Demonic attack, and my Chariot burned the enemy Baggage Train - but the Behemoth destroyed the 3rd Skeleton Horde and broke my army. For the first time ever, my Necromancer had to flee the battlefield...



Conclusion:

The Lords of Undeath severely lack some big nasties like the ones that can be fielded my many other armies. I may have to give up using my Necromancer, and instead field another Chariot for chasing soft targets, while my buffed up Blacksoul tries to keep check on any biggie fielded by my opponent. I must say, I dislike this kind of meta game decisions; a points based battle/war game should allow you to build an army to the same points value as your opponent, and then be able to take on whatever he used his points on.

Oh, well, it's all fun and games...

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! I think it really pays off to spend that extra time getting all units fully painted - I even sort of enjoy getting hammered by a colourful new army...

      Delete