Tuesday 2 June 2020

Oathmark: 2,500pts, Orcs & Goblins vs Dwarves

Yesterday, I played against Ulolkish's Dwarves (augmented by 19 minis of mine) in the garage attic.

We played on the large table, so allowed for setting up 12" in from the table edges.


On Turn 1 we mostly used Forward unto Battle - except for my Shaman (Lvl 3) who laid out some Smoke to cover my advance on the left.

NOTE: We have house-ruled that 25x25 units-of-one have no facings/can turn freely to see/move in the direction of the player's choice. The main reasons for this is that it seems odd and cumbersome that a single person has to suffer the same maneuver restrictions as a body of men in formation.

This may make Spellcasters too powerful, as they can cast more spells than usual, and I am toying with the idea of allowing some kind of dispel/nullify counter action by an opposing wizard to balance it out.



On Turn 2 my Shaman laid out some more Smoke, and the Dwarven Archers started moving around it (and in behind the flank unit.

Apart from that, the turn saw only general advance.


Turn 3 saw some blood drawn by bowfire, and the battlelines were closing in.


- And the second Smoke screen dissipated.


Turn 4 saw some real action all over the battlefield, with units charging and counter-charging. On my far right it looked as if the Dwarven flank was about to be turned.


But the flank held, supported by the Runesmitth (Lvl 5) who rained death on the Wolves of Isengard in the form of a Lightning Bolt.

We had to turn the remaining Smoke aside to avoid getting the Uruks entangled in the cotton.


Turn 5 made it really clear that I need larger units for my Isengard army. Had some of the units surrounding the Dwarven flank unit, I might actually have annihilated it and been able to start turning the flank. Instead, the unit held its ground, and with the continued support from the Runesmith and the Archers, it was a real pain...


Turn 6 saw my lines worn  ever so much down, and the stubborn little buggers on my right still refused to die.

My Shaman conjured up a new screen of Smoke in an attempt to minimize losses to the Dwarven Archers.

On the left much fighting had occurred, situation still inconclusive, but I was way behind on points.


But when in Turn 7 the Runesmith broke my remaining Wolves with a Lightning Bolt, and Cascading Panic disordered some of the nearby units, I did no longer see Victory withing reach (and it was getting quite late in the evening), so I called it quits.

We did not count the Victory Points/losses, but I am quite sure that the Dwarves had more points remaining on the table than my army. I really need to get some various types of Orcs (Oathmark: Goblins) painted, especially Archers as I feel heavily out-'gunned', even by only one large unit of enemy bowmen, but also to bring more staying power and Rank Bonuses to the table.

This game took an awful lot of time, about five hours if I remember correctly, and I was suffering horribly from 'combat fatigue' towards the end (headache, could not remember/calculate Target Numbers, etc.). It surprised me that it took that long, as my last game (2,000pts) lasted only two hours all in all, but of course my many small units in this game slowed down things considerably.

I am playing a game tomorrow on the same table with the same list against an army made up of my own Gondorians, Rohirrim, and High Elves commanded by Emil, and I have been contemplating using different tactics to see if I can gain an advantage tht way.

No comments:

Post a Comment